Tuesday 23 February 2010

In Pursuit of Nappyness… Introducing Kinky Nikz 2.0

Hi Bloggesphere,

I heard about this website a few weeks ago and thought it was a great idea. What a great opportunity to showcase my fabulous writing skills (J) and say a lot about… well, stuff! But then I was actually given the opportunity to write my first blog and I was stumped; what was I going to say? What would I call myself? I mean, would anyone give a flying Kcuf? Answer: probably not. But hey, does it really matter? I decided to approach the blog like most other things in my life, head on, without fear and with positive karma or as my boyfriend say’s, ‘enter any action with boldness!’. 

So, here goes. I thought it only right to begin with letting you know who I am and what gives me the right to evade your mind space.

I am the kind of person who likes change…often. So when I was thinking about a new hairstyle for probably the third time in 2008, my colleague suggested I grow an afro so they can hide things in it. You may well laugh but, to be honest, it wasn’t a bad idea (the growing part). So I spoke to the very few natural haired ladies that I know to help make my decision. I mean, I have only dealt with short relaxed her for my whole adult life, what was I about to do with a ‘fro?

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I cut my hair for fun on the worst days but this time it was different. This time I would let it grow back naturally.

Now, when you think about it, this should have no bearing on my decision. The aim is to grow my hair naturally (okay, I know you got that much), the way God intended it to come out of the follicles on my epidermis but yet I had to research and ask questions about what to expect. These days that just doesn’t sit right with me, why is this information not already apparent? I digress…after much deliberation and in an ‘I AM my own woman’ moment after an argument with my boyfriend, I sat in a barbers chair in Willesden and told him to shave my head, shave it clean.

I remember walking out of the barber smiling hard at this new liberation, I was bald, bold and free. If I had a convertible SLK I would have driven off into the sunset down the M1. Instead, I rubbed my head and jumped on the 266 back home to Harlesden.

Okay, so I have now cut my hair, of course there has to be a collation of thoughts and opinions and a general consensus on the new ‘do’. Everyone loved it, except my mum who gave me a nonchalant “when are you going to leave your head alone” (she is now very bored of my spur of the moment style changes!). There was just one more tiny thing, I was yet to see the man in my life and thought that turning up at his upcoming club night looking like earth mother was the ONLY thing to do. Let’s just say he approved. J



So anyway, to cut a long story short, let’s fast forward 1 year and 9 months and I love my fro, it’s 6 inches, it’s fierce, it’s me. I care for it like I would my first born child, we‘ve been through learning, misguidance, pain, disappointment, love and hate. My hair has taken me on a journey, it has dictated my lifestyle, it has made me feel unattractive and yet made me beam with pride.
Now, I’m no Oprah, and i will not be handing out a free car for tuning in next week but I will be sharing what I have learnt on my pilgrimage to nappturality. The products that scientifically work for black hair and ones that worked/ work for me, hair care regimes and all things natural. Please feel free to post any questions that you may have in the future and happy reading!!!



Kinky Nikz

6 comments:

Miss B said...

Naps that was great, easy reading and funny! Keep it up girlfriend, this is so your thing x

Simona said...

Hey Nik, you really are a talented person. It was written with honesty, humor and overall quality. I really loved it. Keep up the good work xxxx

Moni BabyBrown said...

Hey Nikz, love this... i reminisce on my hair liberation day also and it was a fab feeling. looking forward to the next installment. Monique x

Yemi said...

WOW, Nikz that was a great introductory read, I happen to read this on the day I intend to remove my full head of yaki weave and let my 21 month old natural hair free for long enough to allow me to embrace MY natural beauty and not what society has led me to believe is beauty.....I digress

Loving the second photo and would please appreciate tips on how you got the look as well as natural products you can recommend. I feel something beautiful happening here.

Have a blessed weekend x

nolawhite said...

WOW WOW WOW What can I say a great piece of work, first let me say as a friend and second as close to family you have come along way in regards as growing your hair to it’s natural state ,as you know we started growing our hair at the same time ,I’ve since cut my hair and started again why I hear you ask? Well this is Because as I go though different stages in my life I allow my hair and my own style to do the talking ,and as I change so does my hair .I say to all women who have thought about or want to make that step to go un natural go for! Let your hair do the talking Be proud of who you are and where you want to go Peace X Naomi

Kinky Nikz said...

Awww thanks for the positive vibes guys. This blog if definately something i enjoy doing and a nice outlet for my hair issues!

@ Yemi, Glad to hear that you are setting the naps free. It's a beautiful thing to embrace yourself wholly. I will be discussing some of the hair care regimes that i have learn't along the way and some of the products that have both been recommended on the natural hair circuit and that have worked for me so stay tuned.

Naomi, your hair is gorg and you know the key to looking good isn't about your hair, it's about confidence in self. If changing your hair helps that process then go for it! Lord knows i used to be a little chameleon when it came to style changes and it has been a battle to hold onto the fro so i feel you!

I hope you all like this week's blog.

Peace and happy naps lol!